For more information about Burns High School or if you would like to leave a comment about our school, please e-mail us at:

FAQs or Frequently Asked Questions

1. I received a phone call from your Main Line, 704-476-8335. How do I know who called?

  • Since each extension uses the main line for outgoing calls, there is no distinct way to know exactly who called. Please leave your name and number with a secretary and this will be communicated to the staff via e-mail.

2. Who do I contact about purchasing a yearbook?

  • Kathy Beam,

3. Who do I contact about drivers education?

  • Brad Taylor,

4. When are decisions made about sports cancellations?

  • The decision is usually made by 2:00pm. Chris White is the Athletic Director, contact him for issues regarding athletics at

5. What schedule does Burns High run?

  • 4x4 block schedule with an interventions period for students.

6. Who do I need to speak with about enrolling my child?

  • BHS Guidance Counselors and/or Wendi Norton

7. When/Where is graduation?

  • at Burns High School

8. What time does school start/end?

  • 7:55 am/2:58 pm, doors open at 7:35 am.

9. What is the attendance policy?

The following constitute valid excuses for the temporary non-attendance of a child at school, provided satisfactory evidence of the excuse is provided to the principal or designee:

  1. When the absence results from illness or injury which prevents the student from being physically able to attend school. When cumulative absences exceed ten (10) days, a statement from a physician is required to excuse an illness. Students with documented chronic or serious acute health problems will be exempt from this requirement for excused absences resulting from the health problems.

  2. When isolation or quarantine of the student is ordered by the Cleveland County Health Department or by the State Board of Health.

  3. When the absence results from the death of a member of the immediate family of the student. The immediate family of a student includes, but is not necessarily limited to, grandparents, parents, and siblings.

  4. When the absence results from the student’s medical, dental or other appointment with a health care provider. A written excuse should be presented with a doctor’s signature or stamp. When possible, such appointments should be scheduled during non-school hours.

  5. When the student is a party to or under subpoena as a witness in the proceedings of a court or administrative tribunal.

  6. When the student or the student’s parent/guardian or custodian adheres to a religion whose tenets require or suggest the observance of a religious event. The parent/guardian or custodian must seek prior approval of the principal for such absences, and the approval should be granted unless the religious observance or the cumulative effect of religious observances is of such duration as to interfere with the education of the student.

  7. When the student obtains the principal’s prior approval for participation in a valid educational opportunity, such as travel.

All absences for reasons other than those identified under the section entitled “Excused Absences” will be deemed unexcused. An absence also will be deemed unexcused unless the student’s parent/guardian or custodian provides written documentation of the reason(s) for the absence to the principal’s designee within two (2) school days of the student’s return to school. A student who is suspended for misconduct will not be considered absent without excuse for the purposes of this policy, although such absences will be considered unexcused for the purpose of make-up work and co-curricular activity eligibility. However, students suspended for ten (10) days or less will have the opportunity to take any quarterly, semester or grading period examinations missed during the suspension period.

Three (3) unexcused tardies to class or unexcused early dismissals from class will constitute an unexcused absence.

10. How do I get a copy of my high school transcript?

  • They are found on the following part of the county website There is a processing fee of $8.00. You can pay via check or credit/debit card using the online payment system. Cash payments are only accepted at the Cleveland County Schools Instructional Center located at 315 Patton Drive in Shelby (behind Shelby Post Office).